Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Fun with straws.
Today I set out bowls of cut up straws and school 
glue. I made each child a name plate,writing their names lightly 
with a pencil and let them add the white glue and straws to build their names.
 ( I did the glue for my 2's and 3's)They enjoyed searching for 
just the right size straw to fit on each letter perfectly.
They had such fun with this activity they wanted  to make more pictures. 
This time I had them just be creative and  put their glue where they wanted and create 
want they wanted. They came up with all kinds of ideas-- water pipes, houses, 
the beach, a castle! Still after spending a good hour gluing they wanted to 
make necklaces!So I  cut out circles,wrote their names on them  put the circles onto 
curling ribbon and they made their necklaces. This is a great fine motor skill, and works
 best with curling ribbon and short pieces of straws. The ribbon is stiff and the 
short straws are easy to string. I like to tape one end of the ribbon down so as they
 string the straws don't all fall off the end they are not putting their straws on. 
A great activity that is great on the budget!
Supplies needed
colored straws
construction paper
school glue
curing ribbon


No comments:

Post a Comment